Sunday, May 19, 2013

Montessori at our home - 3 Homemade Checkerboard

Homemade Multiplication Checkerboard

We did use the Checkerboard online. However, I could sense that my son had difficulty in dragging and dropping the bead bars using the mouse. It was quite disappointing for me. But then, that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I had scouted for beads in Pune, but here in Chennai, everything needed for the board just fell in place.

Thankfully, we got some beads and golden wires at the local Lucky Stores and made the golden beads ourselves. There was a cute box with 12 compartments just about right to put the different sized beads.



For the board, we took empty cardboard laptop boxes and stuck green, blue and red shiny paper(Each square is 5cm X 5cm). With some cardstock stuck on the remaining cardboard, we got the number stamps. I haven't yet completed the board, but, he has started working. The entire effort has taken about 2 1/2 days (of course with other activities thrown in). Cost - Rs. 300 ($6). Had it not been for my son himself helping me out and pushing me to complete it, I might not have finished this so soon.

Some more pics -





Our thanks to all the people who have put up the Montessori videos and all those useful posts. I do feel far more satisfied at taking some effort for this. Hmm....may be there is an invisible hand at making some small dreams come true! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment